In other news, Monday night we all went to see Pride and Prejudice at the English theater, along with Sara, her amusing friends, and about 100 other females, plus the odd unlucky male. I definitely didn't expect the movie to be as entertaining as it was, but I absolutely loved it! Carla said that it was one of the best movies she'd seen lately and I quite agree. It was funny, and had a lot more fun with sly jokes than the six hour series could manage. Mr Darcy was smoking, and even Keira Knightley I didn't hate quite as much as usual. There's something extremely enjoyable about watching such a film with your close friends and having the entire audience oooh and ahhh at the same favorite parts. Except for the end, where they apparently cut the kissing scene. So yes, I felt cheated that after a two hour romantic comedy it ends with a kiss ON THE HAND. Come on. Europeans love sex! What's the deal?
Tuesday was of course Valentine's Day, except it didn't really feel much like it here. There are very few stores that put up any merchandise, Europeans apparently being above such a holiday, plus it was very warm and sunny, unlike the cold drudgery I tend to associate with the holiday. And, of course, there was the added detractor of being about 3,000 miles away from my valentine. But guess who still got roses, on another continent, from the best boyfriend ever? Yes, you are correct, me!!!
''One morning, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know.''
Wednesday, February 15, 2006
Michelle's Good Luck Suspiciously Continues...
So I almost died today, while making lunch in the apartment. ...ok, maybe I didn't almost die, but I probably would have been quite injured, since the red pashmina scarf I was wearing, which I bought from a wonderful street vendor in Rome, went up in flames from the gas range. The front burner is rather whack, ie, tends toward uncontrallable bouts of fire, but as the largest burner it's best for pasta, so I was trying to boil pasta there while making my sauce in a pan on another burner. Apparently I leaned in to far, because hey, something smelled like burning...and then I looked down and I was ON FIRE. I believe there was screaming, and then Anna directed me to the sink, where we doused the fire, albeit not in time to save the scarf. Requiescat in pacem.
No comments:
Post a Comment