Thursday, November 02, 2006

Reminisce

I've been rereading past entries from this journal and oh, how I laughed at some of them. I've been such a silly goose at times, such a drama queen at others, even while I was trying to hide it behind my words. I was gratified to read entries where I was purposely obfuscating (there I go again) my real subject, probably because it was Greg or Sara or Meghan and I was worried they'd read it, and still be able recognize exactly what I was trying to say. Example, the entry where my friends and I had decided we would try kissing girls, that was a laugh.

There's just so much life in all these pages! And there must be literal tons of them, there's been 806 posts by now and some of them are long, long, long. So many emotions have gone into this, so many choices have been chronicled here--and not all of those I'm proud of, either. Certain entries make me wince, whether at my immaturity, sheer stupidity, or just an unfortunate inability to see what was coming. Other entries make me fondly nostalgic; most of the ones about Greg do, and probably always will. Greg-the-person aside, Greg-the-symbol has become for me emblematic of a simpler, pastoral-idyll of a time in my life, where we're all shepherds and shepherdesses and the sun is always shining. I think it's because the other major figures from that time, except Meghan, have remained with me, and I've seen them change and grow, but since Greg was never really part of my life after coming to college he stayed behind in my memory, preserved like he was then.

My entries the past few years have certainly seemed more calm and less hyper-enthusiastic than they used to. I'd like to credit that to growing up, I suppose. I do feel so much older and more stable than I did the first two years of college. Being with Sean has aided that a great deal; just like our relationship profiles said, I need him to keep me grounded, he needs me to rock the boat. Haha. Oh, I love that boy.

I'm glad I started this journal, and even more happy that I've kept it up. I need to be reminded sometimes of where I've been, both the good and the bad. But the good feels so much better to remember.

No comments: