Dr. E had recommended I go to the conference just to see what the field is like, to view "the madhouse," which was by no means an exaggeration. He estimated about 3,000 people attend every year. It was definitely eye-opening--in more ways than one, at $150 for a single-day ticket! At least I didn't stand out when I was actually wearing the right shoes. I talked to a few people who assumed I was a grad student, including one very nervous girl who was interviewing for a job teaching painting at some college and who thought I was an interviewee as well (Dr. Escobar later observed that she ws probably thrilled to hear I wasn't competition).
I was most nervous about going out to lunch with the members of the panel on Phillip IV that Dr. Escobar was going to be chairing in the afternoon. It was strange to see him there; he's on sabbatical and will never be my professor again, so there was less of a teacher-student thing going on. Before the conference he had given me his cell phone number in case I got lost, and while we walked to the restaurant, a Spanish place called Tintol, he told me that the reason he had warned me not to give the number out wasn't that he was worried about crazy college kids pranking him, but that he didn't want the other members of the department knowing he had a cell phone. Apparently he's kept its very existence a secret, which seems almost impossible in this day of constant connectivity.
Lunch was good. When you go to a tapas restaurant with a bunch of Spanish history, art and literature scholars, you can rely on them ordering up some good stuff. I had lamb meatballs, real tortillas made out of potato and egg,and croquetas, which are like a spicy fish stick without fish. The two eminent scholars who were joining us, Jonathan Brown and John Elliott, arrived late, and being older gentlemen were fairly quiet. The other members of the panel were all female, as well as Dr. Escobar's co-chair Amanda--who I realized was the friend he had mentioned as being a historian who focused on costume when we were in our Mannerism seminar. The youngest woman was from Puerto Rico and didn't yet have her doctorate; she's studying at the IFA under Jonathan Brown. Another woman was from Bilbao and moved to Dublin fifteen years ago, so she had a really interesting accent.
The Phillip IV panel was very interesting, since the four papers presented covered a range of topics, not just contained to the art itself, but also exploring Spanish Golden Age theater and the role of Phillip's wife Isabella as a patron. After the panelists finished, Brown and Elliott discussed the joint project for which they both received wide acclaim 25 years ago, "The Buen Retiro: A Palace for a King." Luckily I had read the first few chapters of this book before the conference, so I wasn't in the dark.
I could have stayed for another evening panel and crashed the grad student reception, but I'd been up since 6:30 in the morning, so I said goodbye to Dr. Escobar, who I won't see again till graduation, and peaced out back to Brooklyn and Heather's comfy apartment.
And then we went to have fondue with two of her friends from Paris! My time with Heather is always so lively. I'm still not quite sure if going to the conference was worth the $150 bucks, but I got to spend a couple of days with Flanny, so it's all good.
No comments:
Post a Comment