Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Post-Christmas Slump

The great thing about being a (semi-) permanent student is that you're guaranteed months of vacation every year. The thing that sucks about winter break is that I find myself totally unmotivated to DO anything, a condition exacerbated by being in New Haven, where I'm not in my own house with my specific routine, and thus am less able to hold myself to the semester-time schedule of working and eating. Here we always wind up sleeping late, then lolling around in the dining room for hours (well, to be fair, Sean manages to work on his French, but I can't accomplish anything with TCM blasting from the living room), and then when we finally manage to get dressed, there are always errands to be run, people to see, restaurants Linda is dying to eat at, et cetera. Work = nil. Last night, for example, we agreed to get up this morning and go to the library to do work. I set the alarm for 9:30, then wound up having a Resident Evil-style dream about an underground laboratory and some kind of plague, so when the alarm went off I smacked it and slept till 11. It's now almost 2pm, and Sean is in the shower upstairs. There will be no library today, but we definitely have errands: going to the bank to deposit Christmas money, getting Sean's car's emissions test, going to Target.

To be fair, my to-do list is fairly short. Read some Italian (I've been reading Bergamo's newspaper, L'Eco), re-learn German, draft the obsequious emails that I will be sending to the owners of the Bergamo frescoes, and possibly the city's soprintendenza, regarding our trip in March, and find a suitable hotel for our one night in Milan, where even the crappy hotel that Lonely Planet warned was likely also a brothel wants 95 euros a night. Still, chances are that I will accomplish most of this list during the last week of vacation when I'm back in Philadelphia, instead of here. Oh, lofty ambitions, how far you have fallen!

No comments: