Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Fun with Professors

A few weeks ago Jasmine, Agnes and I went to see "Never Let Me Go" at the Ritz in Old City, where tickets are $6 for students. One of our professors, Dr. Bolman, happens to live in that neighborhood. Now, Dr. Bolman has always had something of a fearsome reputation as the professor who puts the fear of God into undergraduates and graduates alike, the professor whose constant watchword is "professionalism." Not a professor who gets buddy-buddy with her students by any means. Thus, I was a little surprised to get an email from her saying that if we went to another movie at the Ritz before she left for Egypt on December 1, she'd like to invite us to her apartment beforehand.

Apparently, the recent retirement of her mentor at Bryn Mawr caused her to re-evaluate her attitude toward students (well, not all students. A few select students. Us, basically.) She told us last night that her mentor never showed any fondness for her students until they completed their PhDs, at which point she suddenly started signing her emails "Love, Dale." Dr. Bolman told us she had this epiphany where she realized she didn't have to be like that and didn't want to be. So, voila--we got to visit Dr. Bolman's fabulous apartment.

The building was old, completely modernized except for some cool features like the 20-foot ceilings, exposed wooden beams, and original dark wood floors (the nails had square heads, which was interesting). She has more books than I have ever seen in anyone's personal collection. Her office was lined with bookcases, her hallway was lined with bookcases, the living room was lined with bookcases! It was pretty incredible. It was also decorated in a really cool fashion, which I don't think I can really describe, and her furniture rocked. Like, a ridiculously comfortable leather couch that also incorporated a chaise longue--from Ikea, although I never would have thought so (apparently they do have 'higher end' furniture." There's an odd sense of intimacy in being in a professor's home and putting your coat and bag down in her bedroom, or using the bathroom and seeing all her makeup. Jasmine and I agreed on the ride home that at first it was a little bit awkward, because we weren't quite sure what to say (we wound up talking about school, naturally). Luckily there was wine to drink and cheese to nibble on.

We had invited her to join us for the movie, and she accepted, so off we went in the cold to see "Hereafter," which we were expecting to be a sad movie. Dr. Bolman announced herself as a crier and made us promise that if she cried we wouldn't tell anyone, but in the end it wasn't really a crying kind of movie. There were some sad bits, but none too heart-wrenching, and the ending was happy in a contrived sort of way. I don't think I'd really recommend it to anyone else, it was fine, but nothing special. Anyway, after that we went to a Persian restaurant near Dr. Bolman's apartment for takeout, to which she treated us, using her "voice of command," as she called it, on Jasmine when she seemed about to insist on contributing. That was pretty hilarious, especially the way Jasmine immediately obeyed and sat down. Then we went back to her apartment to eat. As we were getting plates I noticed that among the items on her fridge were two magnets of Bella and Edward from Twilight. WTF?

We did wind up having an interesting discussion about psychics and talking to the dead (Matt Damon plays one in the film). I asked if the others would consult one. Dr. Bolman told us that twenty years or so, she used to visit a psychic regularly! (I managed not to let my mouth fall open, but it was a close thing). She said that she was looking for some kind of confirmation that there was something else out there, some other dimension, and she would go to this woman who claimed to read auras and tell you vague things about your future. She could also tell you things about people in photographs if you brought them in; Dr. Bolman said she was thoroughly convinced by this woman's ability to accurately describe people she had never met and only seen in a photograph, and that the vague predictions about her future always came true, but she realized ultimately that it was drawing too much of her attention and money, so she stopped going.

Jasmine said she wasn't sure if she would consult a psychic, Agnes said probably not. I told them about how my mom consulted a psychic on her birthday once and was quite convinced--the person told her she saw a red-headed woman who wanted to know if my mom was still angry at her (she was) and a large man with a breathing problem (my dad had sleep apnea), who wanted her to know that he was OK. I said that I wasn't sure either, partially because I'm a skeptic and I don't believe in life after death, and partially because I don't feel the burning need to talk to my parents. I mean, what would I say to them? I miss you? Duh. And what would I want to hear back, that they're fine, that they're proud of me, etc? Since I don't believe in an afterlife of any variety, I'm not concerned about them being "fine," and I know they were proud of me. I think trying to communicate with them, even if it were possible, would just be more painful than it'd be worth. Jen, on the other hand, would leap at the chance, I'm sure (in fact, I'm shocked she's never done it). However, even though I don't believe in the afterlife, I'm not completely skeptical about psychics. I mean, we only use a fraction of our brain power, so who's to say what could be possible for people who can somehow access the rest? After all, we only perceive time as completely linear; maybe they do catch glimpses of the future.

We also wound up discussing our favorite works of art. I was surprised to learn that Dr. Bolman's favorite was Simone Martini's Annunciation in the Uffizi (she's a Byzantinist/Coptic specialist, so I thought it'd be something there). Agnes' favorite was a painting from the Waddi Natrun site she's worked on in Egypt. Jasmine's favorites are two Saint Cecilias: Raphael's painting, and Stefano Maderno's statue. I had serious trouble thinking of favorites; in the end I said El Greco's View of Toledo, and Canova's statue of Pauline Bonaparte in the Borghese.

Anyway, we had a really fun time last night. I heart Dr. Bolman!

No comments: