Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Roundup

It's been quite some time since I updated my blog, more than two months. The two big things that happened in the interim are pretty much my seven weeks at Middlebury in the Scuola Italiana, and Sean's move back to New Haven. I'm happy to report that the latter went smoothly, and we're now comfortably established in what once was Linda's side of the house. I love it, but it's taking Sean longer to really think of it as "his" space. If all goes to plan, I'll be there permanently after my exams in April! No more marriage commuting, whoohoo!

As for Middlebury, it was amazing, truly. It's incredible what your mind can do when it's saturated so completely in a language! My reading and listening comprehension rocketed ahead of where I started, and while I still make lots of mistakes while speaking, I know that's a hell of a lot better than before. The thing to do now is to make sure I don't lose the skills! I've emailed my fellow Italian-speakers in the department, suggesting that we have a weekly Italian lunch date or something. I also considered asking for a Kindle for my birthday in order to be able to purchase Italian-translation literature more easily, but as of now I'm not sure it's worth it.

I'm kind of surprised at myself for how little I've written down about Middlebury. I think I just wrote so many emails to people describing the program and all the cool things we were doing that I don't really feel like recapitulating it to myself--I can always just go read the emails themselves. But it was amazing, worth every minute and every penny. One day in Italy it will serve me well!

No comments: