Sunday, July 15, 2012

Aimless Torcello Day


It’s a sign of how ready I am to return home that this morning I actually stayed in bed bed surfing the internet rather than immediately getting up.  Never before has that tiny, lumpy mess enticed me to stay in it after I’ve woken up properly!  Then I puttered around, cleaned my room, and organized all my postcards, brochures, notes, and other paper what-have-yous. I restrained myself from packing just yet, only because I don’t have that much space and it’ll just make everything (more) chaotic.  Seriously, Sean would have  some kind of attack if he saw how I’ve been living these past two months.  Crap everywhere…

Once I finally left home, at around 1pm, I decided to go to Torcello, one of the outlying islands in the lagoon that was the original center of Venice in the early medieval period.  Less than a few dozen people actually live on it now, though there are two small, expensive hotels.  Getting there, especially from the Lido, takes quite a bit of time: maybe 20 minutes to Fondamente Nuova, then switching to another boat to take you 45 minutes out to the cute fisherman’s island of Burano, where you switch to another boat to take you the ten-minute ride to Torcello proper.  This route is made even longer if you stupidly forget that you need to switch at Burano, and have to ride another 20 minutes to the next stop, get off, and take the next boat (which happily came in three minutes) another 20 minutes back to Burano. *facepalm*  For all this effort, I can’t say I was over-impressed by the payoff. The only sights on the island, which is tiny, is the cathedral with its belltower and the adjacent central-plan church of Santa Fosca.  Usually you can climb the belltower, which would have been something, even if Venice is pretty far distant, but it’s under construction.  The cathedral is known for its 11th century mosaic decoration, a Madonna and Christ with apostles in the apse and a whole bunch of scenes, including a last judgment with blue devils and some creative depictions of hell, on the counter-façade. But honestly, if you’re looking for mosaics in Venice, you’ve got the far superior example of Saint Mark’s, and in general once you’ve been to Ravenna, other mosaics have a hard time cutting the mustard. I did enjoy a tasty strawberry push-up popsicle on the hot walk back to the boat stop, though, so not a total loss.

Going home, I asked one of the sailors if I should go back around to Fondamente Nuova or continue going around in a circle through Punta Sabbioni; he told me the latter would be a little faster, so off I went to complete a full circumnavigation of the lagoon!  It was a beautiful day for It, really, maybe 82 degrees, and of course when the boat is moving at a good clip, like it can out in the lagoon (vs the crawl up the Grand Canal), the wind for anyone standing on deck is pretty strong.  All around the vaporetto raced the speedboats and small yachts of Italians enjoying a fine Saturday afternoon; nearly every boat had a pot-bellied, speedo-clad man at the wheel, while two or three bikini-clad women splayed themselves out fore and aft.  One group had the stroke of inspiration to put a full-size air mattress on the prow of the boat on which two women (always in bikinis; no one, and I mean no one, no matter age or shape, wears one-pieces here) were reclining and chatting animatedly.  I can’t really imagine a life where that’s your weekend, and I mean that in an “I’m jealous” kind of way.  Sigh. 

On the larger ferry from Punta Sabbioni back to the Lido, a trip that took maybe 30, 40 minutes, some American girls, high school age, sat down next to me on the boat.  It quickly transpired that one of them realized she’d left her bag on another boat, and went tearing off to the officers.  (For all the agitation they were in I assumed this involved the girl’s purse, but no, it was her bag of Murano glass *eyeroll*  The sailors radioed the other boat, which sent the bag to central lost and found; all would be well).  The girl who lost her bag was quite lovely, red-headed, willowy, and in the most incredible dark blue full-length summer dress with a back that was almost entirely ivory lace, all the way down her back.  The other two, who stayed sitting near me, were plainer, and they discussed whether the sailors would have been so eager to help an unattractive girl who’d lost her bag.  They ultimately decided that anyone freaked out enough would elicit a positive response, but they both acknowledged the power of attractiveness—a sadly astute observation for girls their age.  In fact, I had just observed a small instance of this phenomenon when I went to ask one of the sailors for advice on my route.  He was in the cabin of the boat with his back to me when I asked if I could ask him a question; he sort of grumpily turned around to see what this person wanted, and then very obviously broke into a charming smile when he saw I was young and attractive.  I’m sure he would have given the same response to an unattractive person, of course, but in this case it was the attitude that changed markedly.

I felt kind of disposed to like these girls, because for once they actually reminded me of our group of friends in high school.  They seemed normal, for lack of a better word; not blatantly rich, like so many tourist kids you see in Europe, for one thing, and also relatively intelligent.  Then another girl in their group, even a little bit plainer than they were, came over and was updating them about the Affair of the Bag.  They pointed out the empty seat next to me and urged her to sit down, which was nice, but they then proceeded to ignore her completely, which I didn’t like.  It was clear that these two girls were close friends, and the third was maybe just an acquaintance or a classmate, so the ignoring took the form of them giggling to each other about their own in-jokes, and then sharing headphones to rock out to dance music and loudly compare notes on the music.  I mean, I know this is how teenage girls are, I have no doubt that I engaged in that behavior once myself, and I’m sure there’s a sociological model that explains the cementing of a bond between two individuals by subtly but firmly excluding a third, but from an adult perspective one recognizes that the polite thing to do, the kinder thing to do, would have been to include the third girl in the conversation, even if only peripherally, instead of leaving her staring at her hands the rest of the way. It made me sad for her, and I wanted to talk to her, but it felt weird to have been sitting with them for 30 minutes without making it clear I spoke English (I might not fool Europeans but I feel like American teenagers would have no idea) only to suddenly initiate conversation. I know the process of becoming mature adults will probably cure those girls of what they were doing (they seemed perfectly decent otherwise), but as for the girl they were leaving out, well, I hope she’s not someone that happens to often. God, I’m happy to be an adult now, even if it means occasionally having to make conversation with people I don’t like or don’t have any interest in.  There really is something in politeness, I think.  The English aren’t always wrong.  

No comments: