Sunday, March 23, 2014

The Definition of "Random"

I came home this evening to the following email:

Dear Ms DiMarzo,

I wanted to thank you and Temple University for making AWW available on YouTube. I was an undergraduate Art History major at Oberlin College in 60's, before diverting to med school. Your lectures were a great refresher for me, especially before travelling to Milan.  My compliments on your great lecture style, and I believe I detected extra effort on your part with supplementary material for your students.  I personally appreciated the historical context provided which I  don't always remember getting as an undergrad.  

Best wishes, 

Arthur P. Liang, MD, MPH
 Sr Advisor for Food Safety 
CDC
Atlanta, Ga

I was terribly flattered, of course, except for the part where I had no freaking clue that those videos were publicly viewable.  I thought I made them all private!  Apparently not. I checked my other Youtube account and my videos have been viewed a collected 897 times, with 81 subscribers.

Now I'm torn on what to do.  I thought those videos were for an audience of ten Temple University students, not random people on the internet.  What if I said something completely off-base in one of those lectures? (I absolutely can't bear to go back and listen to them, it's too freaking weird). I mean, those kids wouldn't have known (too busy cheating on their homework) but I have this perverse fear that I'm going to be called to account by some specialist in Cezanne, or something (the module on Impressionism/Post-Impressionism has been viewed the most times, almost 200).  The other issue is that I'm teaching the class again this summer.  Remove all the videos and post new ones, leaving the channel open? Delete them all and start a totally new channel?

At any rate, I wrote to Dr. Liang to tell him how happy I was that a former AH student was interested in the lectures.  He undoubtedly gained more from it than any of my actual students!

No comments: