Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Four Weddings and (One Hopes) No Funerals

After the nuptials of Sara, Jen, Sean's step-sister Morgan, and finally Sean's classmate Greg, wedding season 2014 is over.  My bank account rejoices!  For this last wedding we traveled to Plattsburgh, NY, on the shore of Lake Champlain, just about an hour south of Montreal.  It's really lovely country up there, albeit very isolated once you're outside Plattsburgh itself.  Unfortunately the weather was grey, cold, and drizzly until we left on Sunday; otherwise it would have been an incredible opportunity for star-gazing.  I've only seen the night sky without light pollution when we camped for HILL class, when we saw the meteor shower (which I now realize was probably the Perseids).

The countdown is now under three weeks.  I haven't really done anything work-related in like a month, which one the one hand I do feel kind of guilty about, but on the other, I remind myself that in Rome there will be no lazy Saturdays spent eating chips and watching bad television, so I should make the most of it now!  Even just to make breakfast, I'll need to be decently dressed to use the residential kitchens.  (It's tempting to think of this being college 2.0, but then I remember that the average age of the fellows seems to be like 37, so I should probably not roll out in my bathrobe).  And on the weekends there will always be things to do, whether Academy-related or Rome-related or Carla-related, so the chances of spending an entire afternoon reading a Diana Gabaldon book, as I did yesterday, seem slim...

No comments: