Tuesday, November 15, 2016

One Big Update

Well, I haven't written here in a few months because in a certain sense not much had happened, really. Until it did. It's still unbelievable. Every day I have this constant mental back-and-forth with two people in my mind who represent deeply divergent points of view: on the one hand, a good friend from the Academy, a woman of color who is deeply afraid and angry and is taking a very combative, isolating, and anarchist position; on the other, Sean's aunt, who is basically completely pleased with the results of the election. I'm constantly debating my actions (or inactions) with the one, and trying to find a way to communicate or convince the other.

One benefit of this is that it's pushing me to concrete action, rather than merely the discussion Sean and I were having before the election. I joined the ACLU, I've gotten in touch with our Democratic representatives, and I applied to work with an ESL literacy program in New Haven. I'm not sure I can go to the march in Washington, only because my dissertation is going to be due shortly thereafter. (At this point, I can hear the mental edition of my AAR friend scoffing that it doesn't matter). We've decided that we have to make a policy of engaging with the people around us here in New Haven, who are mostly working to middle class, without college educations, and who supported Trump, whether openly or quietly. We have to start actually reacting to the casual racism that comes out of the mouth of people who are very dear to me, like Sean's mom, instead of awkwardly changing the subject. I hope we can help make a difference, instead of continuing to be laissez-faire liberal intellectuals.

Other notes: my nephew Charlie will be a year old on Thursday, and he remains adorable. He's a bit more cranky now as a couple of teeth are coming in, but still, world's best baby. I still haven't changed any diapers, and I count that as a win. Also on Thursday, I'll be getting my medical marijuana license. Turns out it's incredibly simple, if you meet one of CT's requirements, which, alas, I do. To be honest, this is more for Sean, who continues to struggle with depression and anxiety, than it is for me, but I certainly feel more anxious lately, and I'm willing to give it a go, in some smokeless fashion. Apparently it even comes in the form of honey! Who knew?

Hm, what else. We're enjoying being able to cook and bake again. Our fridge is full of our homemade section, which currently includes applesauce, peanut butter, and hummus, but will soon be back to including fresh bread, courtesy of the starter bubbling away in a crock on the lower shelf. I've been reading a lot of food-related books, including Anthony Bourdain's original Kitchen Confidential (too much of a dick for my taste) and Gabrielle Hamilton's Bread, Bones, Butter, which had been named as the best chef memoir ever written. She has an MFA in addition to her cooking training, and certainly has lived an eventful life, but I was really disappointed when the focus of the book turned, in the final third, to her terrible green-card marriage to an Italian (who she started sleeping with while her girlfriend of several years was still slaving away for her in her restaurant). Spoiler alert, it did not go happily. I didn't finish it. Really what I want is something on the level of My Life in France, or Provence 1970, or any of MFK Fisher's work. Or Michael Pollan, who got me excited about cooking and baking in the first place.

I did read a novel that I enjoyed recently, Major Pettigrew's Last Stand. It had been recommended by NPR a while ago and had been lingering in the bookmarks folder where I stashed all the books I wanted to read once I was within range of public libraries again. I remember years ago Phyllis explaining that she read nothing but non-fiction, and I was surprised, but now I find myself doing the same thing! For some reason, selecting a contemporary novel seems like an inordinately difficult task--I want a good story and I want elegant prose--while a nonfiction book will hopefully teach me something new and interesting, even if it's not the loveliest work of craft. But this novel lived up to its recommendations, and I'm looking forward to getting her second novel, which just came out.

In terms of television, Sean and I watched Luke Cage when we got back, and really enjoyed it (Sean missed the conclusion, since he fell asleep and I couldn't stop). Both that show and Jessica Jones have been excellent (Daredevil was only OK). Now we're going through Parks and Rec, which Sean had never seen, and he has found his soulmate in Ron Swanson. We had been watching Poldark, but gave up. Instead I'm getting my costume drama fix from The Crown, which offers the kind of comfort of "hey, this has already happened, no surprises." Unlike contemporary history.

I think that's most of our updates. We've been fortunate to see most of our friends and family since we've been back, including some of our Academy friends, which is great. I'm really looking forward to rejoining our family Thanksgiving, which of course I've been away from for two years. Sean hasn't seen my aunt and uncle since Thanksgiving 2013! He's looking forward to cracking Cape oysters with my Uncle Dana, and I'm going to retake my rightful turkey leg.

And now, back to the dissertation! See you in another two months, Blogger.

No comments: