Sunday, December 31, 2017

The Good Old Days

We just finished up watching all 9 seasons of The Office last night. In the finale, Andy says something about wishing there was a way to know when you're in the good old days while you're still in them. In the shower this morning I realized that I have realized it, a number of different times in my life. I remember the sort of 'advance nostalgia' that gripped me the summer after high school, and then at the end of each college semester. I felt it in Rome many times, especially toward the end of my second year. I feel fortunate for that, the early reminder to enjoy the great time you're having in the knowledge that it may not be that way again.

And even if not everything is the good old days, they can still be great days. This holiday season has been a little less joyous than it would have been, because Sean spent a week--including Christmas--in bed with the flu, but I also had the chance to see Carla (not once but twice!) and sit in the Flanagan living room catching up with Heather, Gary, and Mama Flan while Donut humped my leg repeatedly.
Tonight we're capping off the season by heading to Jordy and Pinto's for an new kind of adult NYE party: sweatpants and a screening of "The Room."

2017 may have sucked politically, but it's been pretty great personally. I have my PhD at last, I have a job that I love, and I have friends and family (especially little Charlie!). I've been incredibly lucky. Here's to 2018!

No comments: