Friday, July 06, 2018

Big Day!

Two things happened this morning!

First, Sean sent off a 300-page draft of his dissertation sometime in the wee hours; it's rough and he said he's barely sure of what it says, but it's in.

Second, I made a mammoth payment to Navient, which, when it processes, will pay off my private student loans in full. That money came from my trust account, so it's not like we did anything special (but thank you, parents!) However, when we paid off Sean's private loans a few weeks back, we did it entirely with what we'd saved during the past year while we were (almost) a two-income household.

That means as of this morning we're effectively debt-free! It helps that we've never had a mortgage, or car loans, or credit card debt. Hell, when we came back from Italy I even swore that I'd never sign another cell phone contract in my life, now that I know exactly how badly consumers get screwed here. Pay as you go, baby.

Anyway, now that we've paid those off, and now that we're finally going to be a real two-income household come September, we can start saving for a house like actual adults. How weird is that? :-)

No comments: