Thursday, July 31, 2025

A Fitness Note

 


Ever wondered what's inside a 100 lb heavy bag? A metric fuck-ton of clothing scraps, a couple of small sandbags, and a PVC pipe with about 25 lbs of sand in it. 

My punching bag has had awful hard spots for a while, so I wanted to try re-stuffing it. Unfortunately I wasn't able to put nearly enough the amount of force necessary to compress those scraps on the way back in. What's south of the white pipe is what came out after I removed it, and yet when I put back in just that section of material, the damn pipe was sitting six inches above the bag's rim! Long story short, I now have an bag that weighs, oh, 60 lbs or so, plus a PVC pipe and a bag of fabric. It's honestly probably better for me in the long run; there's no reason I need to be hitting a hard-as-shit bag. If it moves around too much, there's a D-ring on the bottom, so I'll tie a weight to it or something. 

I've incorporated boxing back into my workouts pretty regularly now. I started paying for YT Premium so that I could use the boxing workout videos without having to take off my gloves to skip ads, and I just decided to start paying an additional couple of bucks to have access to more workouts from the trainer I follow, Precision Striking. Before the basement cleanout, I finished Week 10 of the GZCLP "The Rippler." It's a 12 week program, but the last two weeks are, I think, deload weeks, so we'll see if I actually finish it out or if I jump to a new program once I have my gym back. I think I might try BBB for Beginners. There are so many interesting looking programs, but I need one that can be done in a home gym without cable or leg machines, and doesn't take 2 hours to complete. Once the school year starts and I start going in to work an hour earlier, I'll have to shift to working out in the evenings when I can, plus Wednesdays and the weekend. 

I started planning out my workout plus hair-washing schedule (it's important, shut up!) in a note on my phone each week. Someone online had the slogan "follow the plan, not the mood," and that has generally worked for me! Even if I'm not feeling it, if I said I was going to do it, I do it. There's still kinks to work out. For example, once upon a time, I worked out fasted (except for the tsp of sugar in my coffee), but once I started lifting more, I needed a banana first or I would run out of energy. If I want to double-up and do some boxing after I lift, though, the banana doesn't seem to be enough, but I'm not sure what more I want to add that early in the AM. My tomatoes and eggs are the post-workout breakfast.

Last week I also started tracking nutrition on Cronometer, which was recommended on Reddit, in part to force some accountability for the role wine plays in my life (sniff), and in part to see how well I'm doing on actual macros. Protein was what I've been trying to pay attention to, and I'm decent there, but lo and behold, I am not good at consuming enough fiber and iron in a given day! That's been very interesting. 

Overall, I feel great about my fitness progress. I was musing over what, if anything, I might get myself for my birthday and found myself debating whether I should get 30lb dumbbells, haha. But my little dumbbell tower is already full, so I'd have to exile the 10s, which admittedly I no longer use. My very weakest lift, like many people's, is lateral raise, and after several years, I'm up to 12s, baby!

No comments: