Friday night Sean I went to the carnival at St. Bernadette's, just down the street from his house. It's so pleasant to actually be able to walk to a place from your home, whether it's to the sea wall or Krauser's or a carnival with all its shiny things. I met more people who had only glowing words to speak of Sean, and we chatted for a bit with his uncle Donnie and his roommate Gary, who is like a hilarious alter ago of Donnie except that he's black and Donnie's white. He made dirty jokes and said I was pretty--he's a winner in my book.
Saturday morning we woke up sort of early, after a night filled with some difficulties--sheet entanglements, Sean's rage towards a malfunctioning ceiling fan, me accidentally popping him in the nose in the middle of the night--to go hike up to Gillette Castle. I finally saw the lily-pad filled pond which Heather had told me about years ago, and the castle, which boasts a stunning prospect over the river but is itself rather unattractive, I thought. I didn't like the roughness of it, it looked purposely unfinished. That evening the fun continued--we had had such amazing weather all day, and it was a favorable evening for watching a play in Edgerton Park. The play was "Robin Hood" by Alfred Noyes, author of "The Highwayman", and the performance was excellent. The set was really cool, and it had a three-story tower from which Robin actually rappelled down at one point. They used real arrows and metal swords, and the fight coordination was really good, in comparison with the crap featured in Macbeth at Fairfield last summer. The main way in which the play differed from a Shakespeare play was the lack of bawdy humor and farce, which I rather missed. It was light-hearted at points but never truly funny.
Funny was this afternoon, actually, when Sean and I took in "Little Miss Sunshine" at the Criterion in New Haven. I highly recommend it as a movie actually worth paying 9.75 to see. The number of laughs in it are surprising considering the number of sad things that happen in the film--hopes being crushed, death, etc. For once the critics were right in all the glowing things they said of this movie. Afterwards we walked around New Haven for a while, such a gorgeous day it was, and then went for an early dinner on Wooster Street. I'm still stuffed two hours later. All in all, this has been one of the most fun weekends I've had all summer. Could I have asked for a more wonderful person to spend it with? I think not.
No comments:
Post a Comment