Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Long Time

I haven't posted in quite some time, a fact stemming from a frustrating incident involving the loss of a very long post at the beginning of November concerning my grandfather's funeral, combined with an increasingly hectic schedule as the semester draws to a close. Thanksgiving passed largely without incident, although the two-hour drive up to and back from my aunt's house with Jen riding copilot was a none-too-pleasant vision of what winter break will be like (hint, lots of squabbling, some crying--on her part, not mine). The dinner itself was fun, and I think I've decided to go back up there for Christmas. I had previously considered going to Sean's, but then my sister morbidly announced that she would stay at home alone for Christmas if I did so...yeah. Plus, I realized I do enjoy being around my family. It's a good feeling to remember that there are still some flesh-and-blood relatives in this world, and better still to hear stories of my dad and grandparents that I've never been told.


My executorial responsibilities continue to be a rather onerous burden. I finally got control of my mom's bank accounts and made sure that the house had mortgage insurance, so that's taken care of. I haven't paid off her credit cards yet, but today I mailed out a check for $400 to Metlife--the last installment on home insurance that I have to pay till next April, whoot--plus one for $250 to the Hartford Courant for her obituary because yes, they make you pay by the line or by the word or some such crap. Ripoff. I finally had to realize that there's just no way that I'll be able to get the house into any condition to sell in the brief three weeks that I'll be home over break--especially considering that I'll be working full time at Stubhub starting the 26th. I wish I didn't have to work--really, REALLY wish--but the reality is that someone has to quite literally put food on the table this time, and I can't in good conscience make my sister, who doesn't have a job in New York, pay for it. (She will, however, be the worker bee when it comes to the incredibly long list of tasks I've got written down, since she won't be working and won't have a car, at least not after I've sold my mom's van). It's hard to look forward to the end of the semester when I contemplate everything I've got waiting for me at home. It's depressing.


A lot of the time I find myself with less interest in other people's problems, at least the problems I hear complained about over and over again. Sometimes I look at them and think, do you even know how hard this has all been for me, how hard it is every day, and yet you want me to sit here and listen to this and pretend like I feel sorry for you?

It's easier to be happy in the daytime because there's so much to distract me, always so much to be done, but at night I lie in bed and I think about everything I've lost, I think about my mom, remembering the things she did and the way she talked, the way she laughed or scowled when I made her mad, the gleeful grin she'd get when she tricked me into something like forcing me to come along tag-saling, and I feel so alone. And the worst part of it is that I can't even cry like I'd like to because Carla's there trying to sleep, and I don't want to wake her up and make a fuss. I miss her at night most of all. The strange thing is, I don't feel the pain of my grandfather's death at all; or rather, whatever pain there would have been has just been completely eclipsed by the grief over my mom to the point that I have to remind myself that he passed away, too. A month ago tomorrow.

I know it's only time that will make this better, I know it because it was true last time and will be true again. I rarely cried for my father in the past few years, even when I thought of him with sadness. It's only been two months since she died, two months! Time passes so slowly.

There have been bright spots, of course. Sean, my eternal knight in shining armor, has been the mainstay of my support, even though he himself is struggling under heavy burdens. We had a great time at Thanksgiving weekend participating in the Richardsons' scavenger hunt, and our team (Richardson, Kim, Pinto, and us) actually won! This past weekend we went into Brooklyn, visited Heather's apartment, met her friend Melissa, and then went out to dinner in my sister's neighborhood with Heather and almost-genuinely-old-man Cody. My sister's apartment is really great, despite its complete lack of decoration and smell of fresh paint. Plus, I got to see my cat, Sapphire, dear old Fatty Lumpkin, and she recognized me and purred, and I petted her and it reminded me of all the old times. I wish I had her to sleep with these days. So many things can be eased by a happy cat purring next to you.

Sean and I spent whole days recently on the cat-after-marriage debate, which is based around a. Sean's allergy and b. Sean's hatred of cats in general. At first, it appeared Sean would only permit me to have a cat if I took his name, which I refused out-of-hand; then, he tried to compromise and offered to let me have a cat if I hyphenated my last name. I was tempted, I tell you, till he re-entered the caveat that it would have to be one of those new, $4000 hypo-allergenic cats they've recently come out with. Ha! I'm not selling myself so cheaply as all that, especially for an investment that could be destroyed with one quick trip in front of a car's tires. Pffffft, I say.

No comments: