Monday, March 19, 2007

Revisited

So I had originally started posting my diary entries from our Greece trip onto this blog, but I decided to delete them. I am way too lazy to transcribe the thirty-or-so pages I've got written down, and honestly, twenty years from now, what's more likely to have survived--pixelated text swimming out there in the ether, or the hard-bound journal that will shortly find a home in a storage container? I ask you.

Anyway, Greece was fantabulous, driving around was a blast, Sean and I didn't kill each other, and seeing the Parthenon was much like seeing the Colosseum--bigger than it looks in pictures, but somehow anti-climactic. Climbing around Mystras was much more exciting, even if it lacked the cache of visiting the Acropolis.

I just spoke with Rachel,a 24-year-old who owns her own house in Hamden and is looking for a roommate. Her email said the rent is $750 with all utilities, including cable and internet in the bedrooms. She has a fenced backyard with a pool, plus a finished basement with a built-in bar and a big-screen tv. All this sounds amazing, and she even said she was willing to wait till May for someone to move in if she clicked with them. Originally, though, I thought it was just her in the house, which does in retrospect seem ludicrous considering the price of the rent. As it turns out, she shares with three other people, and I would be replacing the lone male who is moving out. The house is four bedrooms, and I would have one on the ground floor. There's apparently a full bathroom on each floor.

So we chatted, and I said I would drive up this weekend to check out the house and meet her roommates. Part of me wishes I could just be moving into a place with only one other roommate--fewer toes to worry about stepping on. At the same time, though, this house does sound like an incredible deal, and if they're nice, it could be a great opportunity. Rachel manages one of her father's insurance-business offices, another girl is in a master's program, and the third is a waitress. Rachel also mentioned she loves movies and isn't a huge party person, so that's encouraging. The last thing I'd want to do is move into Animal House.

However, I've gotten some other messages from Rent.com, including another woman with an apartment in Hamden, and the girl from Minnesota who's flying out here to look for apartments in April--we agreed to meet up if neither of us has found a roommate or apartment by then. So we'll see how it all goes.

No comments: