Speaking of things past, for some reason in the shower I was thinking about lunches with my mom at Dom's, especially the ones where Sean would join us, and participate in the quintessential DiMarzo ritual of reading the paper and not talking. Then I got very sad all of a sudden, as it hit me once again that that's over and done with. Those Sunday mornings will never come again. We'll never slide into one of Dom's extra-large booths with her; I'll never squabble with her for first dibs on the section of the paper that I wanted. The waitresses will never come over with that special grin they saved for "Joanie." Their smiles for us are different now, sadder, because we remind them of her. And they remind me of her, and her quick little laugh, and the way she'd threaten me with her fork if I tried to sneak her chips. I miss her.
Talked to Jen tonight, another conversation that's really a monologue proceeding at breakneck pace. She told me how much she misses Mom and that, surprisingly, she enjoys talking to me; strangely enough, things I was thinking of telling her the last time we spoke. She had the unfortunate luck to get bedbugs in her apartment and had to throw out her bed. She also had to wash the cat--hiliary ensued.
In other news, still hating Carla and being jealous of Sara, as I track her progress on her blog (www.sarainitaly.blogspot.com) The grad party Linda threw for Sean and I last Friday came off swimmingly; I was especially glad to be able to see my aunts. Linda threw in a couple of hints about how the place we were at does weddings--she got married to Gary there, in fact. *shakes head* Then I crashed Heather's family party on Saturday, accompanied by Rae, who then promptly abandoned us on Sunday to start (another) new life, this time as a research assistant for the summer in Boston before she starts med school. I didn't realize how much I missed being with Rae and Heather till this weekend. Now I can't wait till Sara comes home and the four of us can get together.
Finally, Sean proposed today that we go see Swan Lake at the Met in New York next week. Our first ballet, and at the Met, no less! None too shabby...
No comments:
Post a Comment