Saturday, September 25, 2010

Semi-Sick Day

The too-rapid change in weather here from seasonably chilly to Indian summer over the past couple of days has wreaked havoc on my sinuses, rendering me sniffly, sneezy, and tired. I went to bed almost immediately after watching the season premiere of Supernatural last night and slept 11 hours, with the help of Sudafed. I've taken the day pills today, but I still feel out of it and tired. I dragged myself to school to get some books so I can stay home today and tomorrow and still have a hope of getting something accomplished. Later. Much later.

In the meantime, I came across this list from 2004 that the BBC compiled of the best-loved novels in Britain. Supposedly they said that the average person has read only six of 100, but I didn't see anything to that effect on their website. Anyway, despite not being British, I thought I would go through and see how many I've read.

1. The Lord of the Rings, JRR Tolkien: LOTR is seriously Britain's number 1 book? Hm. I found them rather dry, actually. This is one instance in which I can say I like the movie version better. (I'm thinking rather snidely of Francis Ford Coppola's maxim as regards the Godfather: "if you want to make a great movie, use a mediocre book.")

2. Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen: One of my favorite books of all time!

3. His Dark Materials, Philip Pullman: Although a good series, I'm again surprised to see this so high up on the list. Do British people like sci-fi/fantasy a bit more than Americans? I cried so much at the end of the third book.

4. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams: I read all the Hitchhiker books at one go, after I confiscated Sean's collected works of Douglas Adams when he visited me in Italy in 2006. The first one is of course the best; they get progressively weirder and harder to follow. Adams wasn't much concerned with continuity, I don't think.

5. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, JK Rowling: Need I say anything? Although I do wonder if I will love these books as much when I'm 40 as I did when I was 20. That's not a question I've ever asked myself of something like Pride and Prejudice, which has had the benefit of a few hundred years of popularity.

6. To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee: This book interested me while I was reading it for a summer book list in high school, but once I was done with it I never regarded it with any affection. Perhaps it's time for a re-read.

7. Winnie the Pooh, AA Milne: Um, I've never read it so I guess I can't comment, but...really?

8. Nineteen Eighty-Four, George Orwell: Sean mentioned a plot point from this book on the phone the other night, and I realized quite frankly how little of this book I remember. I read it in high school, and what I chiefly recall was how much of its vocabulary--words like "doublespeak"--I began to notice as having been absorbed into our common speech and writing. Another book I should revisit.

9. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, CS Lewis: This is the only book of the series I ever read, and that when I was in elementary school, I believe. I never really became attached to it, though I did have a strong desire to try marzipan based on its description in the book (until I saw what it looked like, and no thanks, I do not want fruit-shaped candy)

10. Jane Eyre, Charlotte Brontë: I got this book in Florence and really enjoyed it my first time through, but on successive re-readings I've found myself completely skipping the several hundred pages between Jane's flight from Thornfield and her return to the broken Mr. Rochester. The part about St. John bores me, frankly, and I never liked that the book's last lines are about him. Re-reading has also made me question the relationship between Jane and Rochester, which is unequal in so many respects, and I don't like the way he messes with her head for his own amusement. Also: Charlotte Bronte hated on Jane Austen's books, and she slides in my esteem for that!

11. Catch-22, Joseph Heller: I read this for a class I took on comedy in college, and then I re-read about half of it this past summer. It certainly is black comedy, but I think Heller sort of loses control of it about halfway through. Possibly that was the point. I don't remember.

12. Wuthering Heights, Emily Brontë: Given a choice to hang out with Jane Austen or the Bronte sisters for a day, there would be no contest. They had a rather bleak outlook on life, didn't they? None more so than Emily. I object to anyone who finds Heathcliff a romantic character in the 'dark and brooding' mold. He is an asshole. Plain and simple. People die and lives are miserable because he is an asshole. There's nothing romantic in that.

13. Birdsong, Sebastian Faulks: I'm not sure what this is...

14. Rebecca, Daphne du Maurier: I just read this book this summer. It's a decent thriller, but the plot was probably was much more novel in its day (1938) than it is now. The relationship between the main character (I thought I had forgotten her name, but nope, she's unnamed) and her new husband Max de Winter has a lot of parallels to the Jane/Rochester relationship, and not in a good way. This book is probably better in the film version, because I think the silent creepiness of Mrs. Danvers could be better appreciated visually than it is here.

15. The Catcher in the Rye, JD Salinger: Grumble. I did not love this book when we read it in high school. I found its protagonist irritating. Holden Caulfield is often held forward as epitomizing the struggle of young people to find themselves, but I didn't sympathize with him. Perhaps because I've always always had a fairly good grasp on my own identity? Or do young men find him more sympathetic than girls?

16. The Wind in the Willows, Kenneth Grahame: Well this is embarrassing: I thought I had read this, but it turns out I was thinking of the book Frog and Toad Are Friends. Whoops. That...is probably not considered great literature, since it's like for 5-year-olds. "The Lost Button," anyone?

17. Great Expectations, Charles Dickens: I started to read this once, but never finished it. In fact, the only Dickens I've read in full is a Tale of Two Cities, which I'm always meaning to re-read. I've also read David Copperfield, if you count the Great Illustrated Classics versions...

18. Little Women, Louisa May Alcott: Never read it.

19. Captain Corelli's Mandolin, Louis de Bernieres: Nope.

20. War and Peace, Leo Tolstoy: Another one I started and didn't get into. I read Anna Karenina, though! I should get points for slogging through one Tolstoy at least.

21. Gone with the Wind, Margaret Mitchell: This is a very long book, from what I remember (which is not much, since I got the book from the library when I was a kid after having spent an entire Saturday afternoon on the couch watching the film version).

22. Harry Potter And The Philosopher's Stone, JK Rowling: Love.

23. Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets, JK Rowling: Love.

24. Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban, JK Rowling: Love.

25. The Hobbit, JRR Tolkien: Meh. Again, Tolkien just doesn't grab me. And it's not that I don't like fantasy novels; I do, or least I was much more into them at the same age when I read this.

26. Tess Of The D'Urbervilles, Thomas Hardy: No, although I remember Sara reading this when we were in middle school. Also, I frequently mixed it up in my mind with The Hound of the Baskervilles. Yeah, that's a Sherlock Holmes story (another book I re-read this summer).

27. Middlemarch, George Eliot: No.

28. A Prayer For Owen Meany, John Irving: No. I read another of his books, Life According to Garp, on the advice of--believe it or not--Dr. Eliasoph. I didn't really like it.

29. The Grapes Of Wrath, John Steinbeck: Nope.

30. Alice's Adventures In Wonderland, Lewis Carroll: Yes, but meh. This is really one of people's favorite stories? I envision favorite books as something you can return to again and again with renewed enthusiasm. Lewis Carroll, like JM. Barrie, doesn't attract me now like he once might have (but even as a child I wasn't a huge fan, it was a little too absurdist).

31. The Story Of Tracy Beaker, Jacqueline Wilson: I've never heard of this before.

32. One Hundred Years Of Solitude, Gabriel García Márquez: No, but it's on my "read when I have time" list!

33. The Pillars Of The Earth, Ken Follett: I love historical fiction, but I shy away from the kind that spans decades and generations because you know from the outset that your favorite characters are all going to die. That said, I did try to read this, and couldn't get into it, despite many people's assertions that it is the Best Book Ever.

34. David Copperfield, Charles Dickens: yes, via Great Illustrated Classics (along with books like Ivanhoe, Around the World in 80 Days, The Prince and the Pauper...my mom was a big fan of those books!) I'm going to say that I probably didn't get the full effect.

35. Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Roald Dahl: One of my favorites! Even though it's children's lit, I can come back to this and other Dahl books over and over again. Neither Gene Wilder nor Johnny Depp will ever capture Mr. Wonka for me; I will always picture him as the little goateed man he is in the book's illustrations.

36. Treasure Island, Robert Louis Stevenson: Yes, when I was quite young (meaning it probably wasn't the original version), and I don't remember it. My grandfather used to call me Long John Silver because I was taller than him.

37. A Town Like Alice, Nevil Shute: No.

38. Persuasion, Jane Austen: No, surprisingly enough.

39. Dune, Frank Herbert: No. Greg and his mom were really into this series, though.

40. Emma, Jane Austen: When I first read this book, I disliked the character of Emma immensely; I thought she was a selfish, immature busybody, and I hated her paternalistic attitude towards Harriet. Remarkably, what changed my mind was not the book itself but the recent BBC miniseries (which I happened to be re-watching last night, actually). Romola Garai's Emma is winsomely effervescent and over-eager at the beginning, but she sobers quite a bit by the end after she realizes how mistaken she's been. Rereading the book after watching the series, I was much more impressed by the novel as a whole. Also, I think Clueless is one of the greatest translations of classical literature into modern cinema!

41. Anne Of Green Gables, LM Montgomery: I've loved these books (and the attendant films) since I was a little girl and I think I'll love them when I'm 80. Even though I am, by personality, probably more of a practical Diana Barry than a manic-pixie-dreamgirl like Anne, I love Anne Shirley and the world of Avonlea. Also, Gilbert Blythe is my perfect man (though Sean comes close).

42. Watership Down, Richard Adams: It's a book about rabbits. Honestly, I was expecting a little more. I read this because it was one of Greg's favorite books, and at the end I thought "That was nothing compared to Brian Jacques." His Redwall series, which is set in a medieval Britain populated by anthropomorphic animals, probably wouldn't captivate me quite as much now as it did then, but it was a darn sight more exciting (and insightful) than these rabbits.

43. The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald: I must be the only person who didn't have to read this book in high school! By the time I read it, a year or two ago, I'd already read The Beautiful and the Damned, and so knew I liked his writing style. Gatsby brings the tragedy to its close much more swiftly, but his evocation of a particular class, and the individuals in that class, is terrifyingly acute. The world is still full of Daisys and Toms, and probably, sadly, Gatsbys as well.

44. The Count Of Monte Cristo, Alexandre Dumas: Yes, although I don't have a particularly strong recollection of it. I was very into Dumas one summer during college, and I read several of the books about the Three Musketeers plus this one.

45. Brideshead Revisited, Evelyn Waugh: No. This strikes me as one of those books that is very British--boarding school vacations and the old moneyed class, etc. I've read only one Waugh book, Scoop (which I enjoyed) but it was entirely different in subject and tone.

46. Animal Farm, George Orwell: When I first read this I was probably in seventh grade or so, because Jen was reading it for a class in high school. I liked it, although I had no idea that it had an allegorical meaning about socialism and Communism! I remember being very surprised when I found that out, although I can't remember if Jen told me or if it was later.

47. A Christmas Carol, Charles Dickens: Hm, I'm really not sure if I've ever read this, actually. I suppose with the plethora and film and cartoon adaptations it's one of those things you feel completely familiar with without ever having read. I think I'll always associate it most with the Disney version--Scrooge McDuck as his namesake, Goofy as Jakob Marley, and Mickey's son as Tiny Tim. On another note, the Christmas episode of Doctor Who this season is supposed to be related to A Christmas Carol, and since they've already met Charles Dickens, I'm interested to see where they'll take it.

48. Far From The Madding Crowd, Thomas Hardy: No, but we read The Mayor of Casterbridge in high school. Thomas Hardy really knew how to write a depressing story, didn't he?

49. Goodnight Mister Tom, Michelle Magorian: No idea.

50. The Shell Seekers, Rosamunde Pilcher: Nope.

51. The Secret Garden, Frances Hodgson Burnett: Yes (there's quite a bit of children's lit on this list, isn't there?)

52. Of Mice And Men, John Steinbeck: This is such a sad story in the end. Steinbeck and Hardy would have gotten along so well!

53. The Stand, Stephen King: No.

54. Anna Karenina, Leo Tolstoy: This book is about so much more than the figure of Anna herself, but my intense dislike for her colored what I thought of the rest of the book. Her absolute shock at finding out that no, you can't just divorce your husband in 19th-century Moscow and then expect all your society friends to keep treating you the same way when you start running around town with your military boytoy was so irritating! I was eager for her to quit her melodramatic hissy fits and just throw herself under the train already.

55. A Suitable Boy, Vikram Seth: No idea.

56. The BFG, Roald Dahl: Another Dahl book! Yes! BFG was one of my favorite; so favorite, in fact, that I borrowed and lost no less than three successive copies of this book from the Windsor Public Library. I had to work off the cost (what was it, like $4?) in chores for my mother each time.

57. Swallows And Amazons, Arthur Ransome: No idea.

58. Black Beauty, Anna Sewell: I read this, but it was in an easy-reader format when I was in third grade, along with The Little Princess. I wanted a monkey.

59. Artemis Fowl, Eoin Colfer: The first book in this series was quite good, and promised wonderful things that I'm not sure the remainder of the series carried through. I'm sure it suffered by the inevitable comparisons with Harry Potter, especially since the main character, a super-brilliant billionaire's son with a flagrant disregard for all authority, is hardly sympathetic.

60. Crime And Punishment, Fyodor Dostoyevsky: I tried to read this in high school, but I couldn't get all the way through. Is it an unfair assessment to say that Russian literature is just dark?

61. Noughts And Crosses, Malorie Blackman: no idea.

62. Memoirs Of A Geisha, Arthur Golden: What I love most about this book is its evocation of a time and a place that is so far removed from my experience: the exotic elegance of the geisha world. I don't enjoy the last quarter or so as much as I do the rest; in narrative terms, that's where the story has to go, of course, but post-war Gion is just such a sad shadow of its former glory. (Also, the idea that the Chairman has been interested in her since she was what, 11? is just a little too weird for me).

63. A Tale Of Two Cities, Charles Dickens: One day I will re-read this. One day.

64. The Thorn Birds, Colleen McCollough: This is a long book, on the scale of Gone with the Wind. I saw part of the miniseries on TV in high school and found the book at my grandfather's house, but I never got all the way through.

65. Mort, Terry Pratchett: Nope.

66. The Magic Faraway Tree, Enid Blyton: Nope.

67. The Magus, John Fowles: Nope--I've never heard of a bunch of these books!

68. Good Omens, Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman: Thi.s is a great book.

69. Guards! Guards!, Terry Pratchett: British people are serious Pratchett fans. Nope.

70. Lord Of The Flies, William Golding: I've always wondered how the events of this book would have played out if it had been a group of girls stranded on the island. Also, has anyone ever figured out why they say "Sucks to your asmar" as an insult?

71. Perfume, Patrick Süskind: No.

72. The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists, Robert Tressell: No.

73. Night Watch, Terry Pratchett: No.

74. Matilda, Roald Dahl: Not my favorite Dahl (where is The Witches on this list?)

75. Bridget Jones's Diary, Helen Fielding: Another book I liked less than its film. The diary format makes you like Bridget less, I think, because she comes off as a bit of a narcissist. Each entry starts off with a tabulation of her weight, number of cigarettes smoked, and number of drinks consumed. By rights I'm shocked she wasn't dead by the end of that book.

76. The Secret History, Donna Tartt: No.

77. The Woman In White, Wilkie Collins: No.

78. Ulysses, James Joyce: Shudder. No.

79. Bleak House, Charles Dickens: No. Jen got this book on Amazon and was surprised to discover it was depressing. Gee, the title was too subtle?

80. Double Act, Jacqueline Wilson: No.

81. The Twits, Roald Dahl: British people love Dahl, I guess.

82. I Capture The Castle, Dodie Smith: No; I saw the movie, and it was very strange.

83. Holes, Louis Sachar: No.

84. Gormenghast, Mervyn Peake: Never heard of it.

85. The God Of Small Things, Arundhati Roy: No.

86. Vicky Angel, Jacqueline Wilson: Never heard of it.

87. Brave New World, Aldous Huxley: Ironically, I read this book for my comedy class, same as Catch-22.

88. Cold Comfort Farm, Stella Gibbons: I saw the movie version of this first, and was a little freaked out by it because I didn't realize it was supposed to be a slightly over-the-top satire. Once I read the book I appreciated it much more.

89. Magician, Raymond E Feist: No.

90. On The Road, Jack Kerouac: Maybe it's because I'm not a man, or because I'm not edgy and interested in trying a lot of drugs to access other planes of consciousness, or...whatever. This book alienated me like three pages in.

91. The Godfather, Mario Puzo: I'm very surprised to see this on here, because it's usually considered a pretty mediocre book, as Coppola would tell you. The structure is different than the movies, because this book starts with Corleone in his youth in Sicily, then documents how he came to the US and rose to power. I don't even remember if Michael plays a role in it. Tommy went to college with a girl who was Puzo's granddaughter; she said all his grandchildren were discouraged from reading his books until they were 18, when he gave them each a complete set.

92. The Clan Of The Cave Bear, Jean M Auel: Hm, I think I read parts of this when I was a kid, but I'm not sure.

93. The Colour Of Magic, Terry Pratchett: No.

94. The Alchemist, Paulo Coelho: Some people talk about this book like it's some kind of gospel. I didn't see that in it at all; it's part fable, part magical realism, yes, but it didn't change my life.

95. Katherine, Anya Seton: Never heard of it.

96. Kane And Abel, Jeffrey Archer: Ditto.

97. Love In The Time Of Cholera, Gabriel García Márquez: No.

98. Girls In Love, Jacqueline Wilson: No.

99. The Princess Diaries, Meg Cabot: I am...very surprised that this is on this list. I did read the book because I liked the movie, and it's a fine example of YA lit, I guess.

100. Midnight's Children, Salman Rushdie: No. I read The Satanic Verses and couldn't quite come to terms with the unorthodox narrative structure; however, I quite enjoyed The Enchantress of Florence.

No comments: