Today I made the first step toward being scholarly, by
registering at the national library, the Museo Correr, and the state
archives. It’s pretty intimidating,
these grandiose reading rooms full of serious-looking university students and
grey-headed researchers poring over these massive books, and me feeling like I
have a neon sign over my head that says AMERICAN. I went to the Marciana library first, and
luckily Dr. Cooper had told me the name of a friend who works in the manuscript
room, because the woman who gave me my library card told me nada and was quite
unfriendly looking. This woman, Betty,
chatted with me for 20 or 30 minutes and explained how everything worked; like
at the NY public library, you can’t go in the stacks, you have to submit a
request for the books you want. They
still have card catalogs, though a lot of material is online. There are separate offices for modern books
(1850-onward), old books, and a separate wing for manuscripts. I’m sure I’m going to make a thousand
mistakes! My goal for the week is 30
hours. It’s going to rain for five days,
so I feel like this will not be a super difficult goal to achieve!!
No comments:
Post a Comment