Today I decided to take the day ‘off’ and not go into Venice
at all. I’ve been really tired a lot of
mornings—last night I slept almost 12 hours, and it wasn’t the first time. Maybe that’s because I’ve been on the go so
much—yesterday I was in Venice from before 9am until after 5, most of that time
spent on my feet—but I do that every time I travel and I never sleep this
much. Of course typically, I don’t let
myself sleep this much because there’s so much to do, so it may be the result
of knowing, subconsciously, that I’m here for a while.
The other big news of the day was a bomb placed outside of a
school in Brindisi yesterday morning that went off right as the girls were
arriving on a bus from the towns in the countryside. (I actually heard someone talking about this
in a bookstore I was in yesterday morning; I heard “bomba nella scuola” and
thought, wait, did that happen here?
Wouldn’t people be more freaked out? Since it wasn’t in either of the
newspapers I read yesterday afternoon, I forgot about it) One girl is dead, so
far. People have immediately suspected
the mafia (the name of the local mafia is Sacra Corona Unita, which sounds like
a soccer team); mafia activity is pretty
high there, and the school is named after the wife of Falcone, one of the two
anti-mafia judges assassinated in 1992 (the wife died too). The families of some of the students have
links, too, apparently. Yet there are
clear indications that it might be garden variety terrorism instead, since the
mafia don’t use the kind of bomb employed in this attack, and they’ve never
attacked a school (as someone pointed out in the paper, they’re not stupid,
they know killing schoolchildren is bad for business). As someone else wrote, it’s one thing to hear
of this kind of thing happening in the Middle East—as terrible as that sounds—and
another to hear about it in your own country.
I can only imagine if that happened at an American school.
This morning I went downtown to get groceries. At home we’re used to doing shopping once a
week, maybe, but in Italy, due to the tiny size of the fridges and also the
lack of preservatives in things like bread, you have to shop every couple of
days. Today my goal was ingredients for the
no-cook pasta that Sean and I love in the summer time, with cherry tomatoes,
arugula, basil and garlic. Before I
could prepare it, though, I cleaned the kitchen and did Elsa’s sinkful of
dishes, for my own sanity. She’s one of
those old people that just really doesn’t give a damn anymore—four coffee cups
on the table, crumbs everywhere, trash can full. I swept the floor and I do not
even want to guess the last time she’d done that. But hey, she’s over 90, and god knows my
grandpa wasn’t much better. Now the
mixture is in the fridge waiting for me to make pasta later. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find ricotta salata
in the grocery store. There were a
thousand kinds of cheeses, many of which I’ve never heard of because they’re
probably just local variants or something (there was also something called
table cheese, which I decided against trying today), but no ricotta that I
could find. Finally I turned to an older
woman, told her I was American, and asked her if the ricotta was lurking there
under some other name unknown to me.
Nope, she said it should be there and to look for it, or ask
someone. However, I managed to find a
small container of parmesan, which is the other cheese the recipe suggests, so
I left it at that. Another time, I
suppose. Another challenge was
estimating amounts—Elsa has a food scale, but when you’ve got a 500 gram box of
tomatoes, how much of that is 1 pint? More
to my chagrin, I discovered that although she has a garlic press, she seems to
have no chopping knife. Luckily I was
only roughly chopping the greens.
You know what else is surprising? The number of stores open here on a Sunday. In Florence everything shut down on Sundays,
except the big grocery store that was by Piazza dei Ciompi, and Rome was the
same, at least in the neighborhood where we stayed. Here there are bars, tabaccherie, even little
produce shops on the sidewalks, all open.
I don’t know if that’s just a peculiarity of the Lido, or Venice in
general? Certainly there seem to be
many more supermarkets around than I remember.
I’ve spotted 5 or 6 in Venice itself, most of them In-Coop; here on the
Lido there’s an In-Coop just a few blocks from a Billa. Italian supermarkets also
have their own store brands now, too; Billa’s is called Clever. I have Clever mozzarella in my fridge and
balsamic vinegar in my cabinet. Another
thing that’s changed is that you can’t buy foreign stamps at a tabaccheria
anymore, which I used to do in Florence; when I asked for stamps with my
newspaper today she said they only did Italian stamps. For foreign I’ll have to actually go to the
post office. I haven’t even bought
post-cards yet, of course!
No comments:
Post a Comment