''One morning, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know.''
Monday, September 15, 2014
Michelangelo show
Krys and I went to see the Michelangelo exhibition at the Capitoline museum on Saturday. It was a good show, but oddly arranged, with most of the material on the top floor with one big gallery downstairs where you enter. There were a number of really great items, including the sonnet in which Michelangelo complains about painting the Sistine, the preparatory drawing for the Libyan sibyl, and the massive model for the facade of San Lorenzo. The show-stopper, for me, was the drawing after Michelangelo's lost Leda, attributed to Rosso Fiorentino. I've seen it reproduced, but had no idea of its scale: 16 full-size sheets of paper, making it something like six or seven feet across and four or five feet high! The composition also struck me as remarkably tender and even sensual in its drawn form, as opposed to the painted copies that exist, which tend to appear colder and more sculptural. It was a surprise to find myself appreciating the sex appeal of a painting depicting bestiality!
No comments:
Post a Comment