Monday, July 15, 2002

Power went out today. This isn't an unknown occurrence, but it was the first time in memory when it went out and stayed out, for about two hours. There I was, in the fading light of dusk with a pile of oh-so tempting books fresh from the library, unable to read in front of the windows. I'm not particularly fond of trying to balance a flashlight and turn pages at the same time, so instead I lit a bunch of candles (enough to send my mom into a panic: "Didn't you hear about that house fire in Hartford that was started by a candle?!") in the kitchen and started on The Plague Tales, which fit the dark-ish environment. The effect of the candles was cool. It made everything so warm, made the room small and cozy. It felt as though the only real world was what was inside the radius of illumination, and that everything beyond loomed large and dark and foreign. I was actually rather annoyed when the lights came back on and the TV started up. I think we all underestimate the virtue of silence. So says the little philosopher, sitting here making an ungodly clacking on the keys while her music blares through the headphones! It really was nice, though.

I bought the most interesting pants today. I haven't bought really tight pants in a while, so it was odd not feeling the usual swish of air when I moved. But the cool thing is that instead of a zipper, they lace up with rawhide in front. They'd be perfect if not for the fact that I really need to go get a belt. Cause they pretty much fall off when I sit down. Among the other purchases made were a pair of hot pink underwear with a duck on them!! :-) Really, I'm amazed that our fascination with these particular waterfowl has endured four years now. I wonder if we'll still be referring to them as the ducks when we're in college. Or when we see them at class reunions, god forbid.
Nine fifteen already. Whatever shall I do with myself now? Go back and read, probably. I forgot to get a book of crossword puzzles to keep me occupied at work. Reading Glamour and Cosmo is certainly intriguing for a while, but the interest pales quickly. I did get the entire collection of e.e. cumming's poems and thomas more's utopia. I shouldn't have gotten another classic read when I wanted to start the Republic, I know, but it was such a cute book.
When I am rich, instead of a personal shopper I will have a personal reader. This lucky individual will be payed by me, with full benefits, to spend their time reading books and finding ones that I would like. Of course they'd have to know me pretty well, but I could train them, right? Saves me the time. Book lists and reviews rarely help me; one because I have no intention of buying the books until I have read them and like them, and two because sometimes books that appeal to one reviewer would never click with me. I just can't rely on them. My friends and I all tend to read the same books, so they're not always a source of new material. They do get me moving sometimes, though. Example: Rae mentions Republic one day, Michelle goes home, digs up her copy, and finally opens it. Next day: hasn't gotten past opening it. Oops.

No comments: