Wednesday, July 24, 2002

Yawwwn. I offered to close for Kate tonight, since she works two jobs and was really tired....almost all the waitresses have two jobs..Kate does paper-pushing at GE, Rebecca does CAD programming at a construction company, Karen works at the cafe in the new Bushnell theater, where she's in love with the guy she works for. I like Karen, even though most of the others waitresses confided that they don't really like her because she's so weird. The first time I saw her, she had her close-cropped hair in a tiny ponytail on the top of her head like Pebbles from the Flintstones. She just came back to the US after living with some guy in Athens for five years. It didn't end well, apparently.
All waitresses love to gossip, naturally. It's the most interesting thing you can do to pass the time. Being only sixteen, I don't have much to put into these spicy conversations, but what I get out of them is always intriguing. Tonight, for example, I found out that Rebecca, who is 25, has been dating a 45-year old married man for several years now. He finally separated from his wife after he and Rebecca broke up over it more than once, and they're living together. Apparently, she throws him out regularly and did it again just last week. He also has kids who are Rebecca's age, who aren't taking dad's new relationship so well. They're planning to get married, eventually. In five years, Rebecca will be 30, and this man will be fifty. Truly, love is blind.
I also discovered that this woman Janet had my grandmother as her third grade teacher. She said that Mrs. Hennessey always made her write out "I will not talk in class" all over pieces of paper because she was so talkative. She also knows Mr. Dumais from Northwest, because his brother is married to her niece. Small world.

In conclusion, I am tired, and Greg comes home in two days. :-)

No comments: