Sunday, April 24, 2005

Good Tidings

It could very well be that I have never been quite so happy; not even on the basis of any one thing in particular, but just in a general sense that my life is going in a direction that I enjoy. Sean, of course, is a large contributing factor to this overall sunny worldview. Not to overload anyone with saccharine, but it is true that when you find someone that you fit with so well, other things seem so much more manageable by comparison. Not studying abroad, for one thing; it's much easier to deal with the idea of not being able to go by focusing on the fact that Sean will be here. We've started looking into stuff for our spring break trip to Italy next year--it's going to be fabulous!

In addition, I figured that I can use spring semester to get an internship for my English major, if possible. Dr. Bridgford mentioned the possibility of getting an extremely entry level internship at the New Yorker, which would be absolutely amazing. I've given publishing a lot of thought recently, and it's an avenue to consider for a possible career. And hey, if I did decide I want to write somewhere along the line, I would be ideally situated to pull strings! I have to speak with a Dr. Sapp about the internship idea.

Finally and most amazing of all, Dr. Regan (who has by this action earned himself a permanent place in my Top 5 Professors of All Time (Dr. Bridgford and Jesus are there already)) wrote at the end of my last paper to ask if I would be interested in being nominated for a Fulbright Scholarship. My jaw dropped, especially since I was reading this at like 1am and already a little cracked out, and then spent another hour scrolling through lists of previous Fulbright recipients to see what kind of proposals they came up with. It's an incredible opportunity, and I'm still shocked that he considered me for it (and oh-so-thanking my lucky stars), even if it is highly unlikely that I'd actually get it. Meredith reports that the application process itself is difficult and very long, and the website listed over 5,000 applicants last year for about 1,000 slots. Plus the host country (which will have to be either Spain or England) has to accept you as well, plus I have no idea what I'd even propose to do.....but still, the idea of it!! A year abroad!! My cosmically-minded roommate is convinced this is God's providential way of making up for me not being able to study abroad. If that is the case, then God is definitely going above and beyond on this score.

Anyway, in contrast to those times when I look into the future and am a little disconcerted or uneasy about what I see, right now things are looking optimistic, and I like this feeling. It's a nice way to end the semester.

No comments: