Blogger is approaching its tenth anniversary, and I myself have been keeping this particular slice of the web warm for the past six and a half years. Now, though, blogs of all sorts are apparently being outperformed by Twitter, who was just approached by Facebook for a $500 million buyout (they declined). But I fail to see the point of a service that basically publishes a text message. What can you really say in 140 characters? Doesn't that just teach people to think and write in fragments, little shallow pools of ideas, instead of really delving into what they think about anything?
I can't even properly call myself old-fashioned in this opinion; I'm sure there are still plenty of diarists out there who scorn clacking away on a keyboard for the tried-and-true pen and paper method. I'm certainly not trying to be the 21st-century Samuel Pepys; a quick review of many past entries, especially in what we will call the "early years," reveals that a lot of what I've written down is stupid and trite and not very thought-through. Still, at least I have the option of writing at any length I so desire. I don't have to sum up my thoughts in haiku-length snippets.
Maybe I am just getting old after all. Damn kids! Get off my (metaphorical) lawn!
No comments:
Post a Comment