Saturday, December 13, 2008

Near-Death Experiences and a Hatred of Fondant

I exaggerated the first part; I didn't know that it could have been a near-death experience till afterward, so that kind of limits the mind-numbing terror aspect, although there was still some of that. Basically, my brakes went out yesterday as I was parking at the PMA. I had to push them all the way to the floor and even then the car kind of coasted to a stop. Luckily, I found this out when there was no one in front of me, not on I-76 where I had been moments before. Since I was already at the museum, I went in, but I only stayed about an hour and a half because I was worried about rush hour traffic later. Stop-and-go is a bad game to play when you can't stop! Anyway, I made it home driving about 35 miles an hour on the highway, and despite one car being pulled over in my lane on Lincoln Drive, an extremely dangerous and curvy road with no shoulder, plus two people who thought they'd like to run across the street in front of me, I didn't kill myself or anyone else. Another bit of luck for me is that there's a mechanic's shop two blocks from my house, so I was able to drop it off and walk home. The mechanic's first words to me when he called back were "Miss, you're a very lucky young lady..." because apparently, my brake line had ruptured, and if I had kept driving any further I would shortly have had no brakes at all. So it's going to cost a couple of hundred dollars and I can't have my car until next week, but--again fortunately--I don't actually need my car until I go home next Friday. I have a library and a grocery store (and a liquor store!) within walking distance. I'm set.

As for fondant, I don't exaggerate there. I don't like it. I'm looking for a baker to do our wedding cake (translation: our wedding cupcakes, although I'm realizing that a real baker will probably refuse my Funfetti idea) and so many of the cakes they offer are just sculpted fondant. Yes, I know that it looks fabulous and you can do anything you want with it, but it seems like cheating somehow. I mean, it's just edible sugar clay, and I don't even particularly like the way it tastes. Of course you want people to admire the cake, but you also want it to look edible, not like it's a sculpture that might contain a tiny bit of cake at the center. I'd love for our cupcakes to have our initials on them, although I suppose I'd have to specify "M & S" so we don't wind up with "S & M" cupcakes. After all that just wouldn't fit the theme!

No comments: