Tuesday, January 05, 2010

2009 in Review

1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?

Well, I got married, AND I wore a white dress in public, so that's two new things!

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?



I haven't made any resolutions in several years. I don't really see the point of them. If there's something you need to change, you can do it any day of the year, not just starting on New Year's.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?



No.

4. Did anyone close to you die?



No! Score one for the DiMarzo family!

5. What countries did you visit?



Italy and Spain.

6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?

More patience and organizational capacity.

7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

May 23, 2009, our wedding day.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?



Juggling graduate school, wedding prep, and getting ready for Rome, and then pulling off an awesome wedding!

9. What was your biggest failure?

Hm. I can't think of one, to be perfectly honest. I guess I wish I were even more committed to schoolwork and mastering the literature. Oh, no, wait, my biggest failure was probably learning to read German and then losing it because I never practiced. Yes, that is the biggest, especially since now I have to re-learn it so I can read the 4,000 entries in Martin Kubelik's Die Villa im Veneto.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

Nothing too terrible.

11. What was the best thing you bought?

My new laptop. Also, plane tickets!

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?

Sean moved to a new school and immediately set about becoming everyone's favorite linguist, so I think that deserves applause. He got a 4.0 his first semester, too!

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?



I'm going to copy Jasmine and say Sarah Palin. Woof.

14. Where did most of your money go?

Living expenses, I suppose?

15. What did you get really excited about?

Let's see: Passing the German exam, getting married, going to Rome, my honeymoon, not having the take the comps, and finding a thesis topic.

16. What song will always remind you of 2009?

I have such a terrible memory that I will never remember the year of a song's debut. However, I will always associate two songs with our wedding: our official wedding song, "La Vie en Rose," and the "unofficial" one, "Don't Fence Me In."

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:


– happier or sadder? Maybe a little happier, I guess...
– thinner or fatter? A little thinner...
– richer or poorer? The poorness quotient has remained pretty stable...

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?



Read books that were not for school, or ones that I had already read before.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?



Read books that WERE for school? Kidding. Worrying about things that I don't need to worry about, or can't control.

20. How did you spend Christmas?



With Sean and his family. Linda gave us a "First Christmas" ornament with one of our wedding pictures on it!

21. Did you fall in love in 2009?

Luckily for me, I was already in love with the world's most wonderful man, and then I married him (I'm trying to see how many times I can work "wedding" and "married" into this little survey).

22. What was your favorite TV program?



I would say 30 Rock except I didn't watch it at all this season, so in its place I will say Supernatural, Lost, and (gasp) Jersey Shore.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?



I don't think I hate anyone.

24. What was the best book you read?

The Jeeves and Wooster stories by PG Wodehouse--my roommate Caitlin in Rome had a copy of all the collected stories, and I loved them so much that I was quite saddened to find out that's all the stories there are about them. I tried watching the BBC version with Stephen Fry and House, but what is charming and idiosyncratic on the page I found really irritating onscreen.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?


That I love harpsichords, and medieval chants.

26. What did you want and get?

A husband (another marriage reference, yes!), a laptop, an electric blanket, time in Europe.

27. What did you want and not get?

A new camera and a netbook. I don't need either one, obviously. My camera works fine, and I think it's irresponsible to trade up every time a flashy new gadget comes out. Also, I just bought a new laptop, so $300 for a netbook would be unnecessary spending.

28. What was your favorite film of this year?

I really enjoyed Star Trek, Up, and Inglourious Basterds.

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

I turned 24; I spent the day at school, and had to have a meeting with a student about his obviously plagiarized museum paper (the same student who had casually informed me that he didn't bother going to the museum at all). He dropped the class shortly thereafter.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

Getting more of my to-do list accomplished.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?

Casual/comfortable most of the time; professional on AWW days!

32. What kept you sane?



Myself?

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?


34. What political issue stirred you the most?



Health care.

35. Who did you miss?



My parents. Also Carla, who's far, far away!

36. Who was the best new person you met?



Er...

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.



Sometimes you have to just relax and hope that it all turns out for the best.

No comments: