Clocks and You
I could never help but to peek
at clocks and you,
to watch the hands spin round,
to watch you fold your tight hands
in your lap like pieces of metal.
I felt myself ruled by time
and by your careful preciseness.
Your voice was like the ticking
of a clock to me.
You counted out the seconds
of my life
with such rhythm.
I look at clocks to be
reminded of you
and your intricate mechanics,
your wound-up hows and whys.
I ride the pendulum with my eyes,
the obstinate motion to and fro.
At night I dream of clocks
and you.
What I Really Meant to Tell You
I just wanted you to know
that the words that came
out of my mouth today
weren’t at all what I wanted you to hear.
In place of “Excuse me”,
I meant to tell you that your eyes
are the exact shade of blue
that El Greco used for the robe of God
In his famous Day of Judgement,
and if you heard me say
“Could you pass me a straw?”
what I actually said was that
I wish that I could sit by you
and write endless poems
about the grace of your hands.
Also, when I said “goodbye”, I meant it,
but next to that last e was a single,
silent declaration of my love,
(in case you didn’t hear).
i wish that just for once i could send messages only with my eyes.
No comments:
Post a Comment