Today was a good day! I finally dropped off the JCrew dress that I'm returning at the UPS box and deposited the last hefty tax return that I'll be seeing for a few years, plus I made banana bread with some extra bananas Phyllis had picked up that were beginning to head south. And it turned out really well, as opposed to the time I tried to make it with her previous oven and it burned on the outside by the time it was done on the inside. Progress!
I'm also progressing nicely in my outline, having made it up to the 1910s and Cubism by the time I called it quits around 4pm. The outline is up to 68 pages, and if, fingers crossed, I manage to finish by Thursday morning, I plan to sneakily print it all out in the grad lounge when I stop by campus. Meredith asked me yesterday if I'm managing to retain anything from this, and the answer, somewhat surprisingly, is yes--the wider themes, along with artists and titles, yes; dates, not so much. Whatever. Meanwhile, in an example of just how randomly my mind does tend to cast up these bits of data, just as I was clocked on the head by a falling box of crackers while wrestling Phyllis' Cuisinart out of its storage spot, I mentally shouted, not 'fuck!' but rather, 'Tilman Reimanschneider!' I mentally cursed using the name of a 16th century German sculptor. Yes, I think this endeavor is paying off, and how!
In other relieving news, Dr. Cooper wrote back to me again and said that Dr. Bolman is figuring out what I should tell people about comps--but more importantly, she said that my friend Agnes is in the same boat. That's not surprising, since I knew Agnes has some kind of fellowship; she's been TAing since we started, the only other MA student to be doing so. I'm happy for her that she doesn't have to take the exam, but let's be honest, I'm more excited that I'm not going to be the only one in the leper colony once everyone else takes their seats in that exam room!
No comments:
Post a Comment