Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Grapes

Mark told the other guys today that he's transferring. They were upset, obviously. They're a pretty close bunch (Wendy pointed out that's partially bc they have few other friends) and I feel sad for them that they're going to lose him. I'll miss him too, but not as much as I'm going to miss Sean. How sorrowfully ironic that I feel closer to him with each passing day, when each day is bringing his time here closer to its conclusion.

However, if there's one thing my friendships have taught me, it's that if you have a strong foundation, there's nothing that relationship can't overcome. I remember my sister warning me in eighth grade that Sara and I would never remain friends in high school, after she and her former best friend no longer spoke or even associated (my sister's best friend at St. Gabe's was Gigi, the beautiful future cheerleading captain at Northwest. i kid you not.) But we remained friends, even through some very strained times, and she's one of my best friends now. I worried similar things about Rae and Heather after we graduated, but they're still my best friends too. And yes, we are different in our relationships because we're girls, but I still think Sean and I will continue to be friends, even if (god forbid) he goes to UVA.

I just remembered that "uva" means grape in spanish. Random knowledge, anyone?

No comments: