It is almost night;
I see my reflection in the window
—at this moment I am beautiful—
and wonder if someone
passing below might look up
and fall in love with my profile,
like in the stories of old.
I try to concentrate
on the task at hand,
all the while holding myself just so.
Still, I cannot help
but glance up every so often
just to see if there is anyone
out there carrying a violin,
or perhaps a piece of paper
with a love poem on it.
One face turns up to mine,
then quickly hurries on.
Possibly he was intimidated
by my perfect Greek pose,
by the composure of my hands
and spine,
or perhaps, feeling his pockets,
he realized that the poem
he had written for me
had fallen out,
lost somewhere
among the growing shadows.
I wrote that during exams last year, while I should have been studying in the library. You know me and getting distracted. Heather reminded me of it with a poem she wrote about how when she finds herself prettiest when she catches her reflection in a mirror across a club or a subway car window.
She's coming in two days!!! Oh I'm so excited...and she's bringing Suzie!!
1 comment:
OMG i love that poem.
michelle, you are awesome and by far my favorite author (especially because i KNOW you!)
Post a Comment