Friday, August 13, 2004

Resolution

Resolved: I am through with boyfriends, at least for the forseeable future.

Yes, I am aware that I have said this before--you know what? I should have listened to my own advice! Actually no, not true, because all my relationships have been valuable learning experiences. That sounds completely canned, but oh well. Anyway, no point in looking backward now. I realized recently that in the space of one year I was involved with four guys: Greg, Andrew, Charles, and Tommy. Considering the fact that I have only ever had five boyfriends total, that's pretty eyebrow-raising. I think I need a definite break from boyfriends. That does not mean, however, that I am swearing off men, because honestly, who ever really does that? You can say you're swearing off men but your eyes still check out all the hot guys and your mind still comes up with interesting scenarios involving you and the muscled guy on your floor getting accidentally locked in a teensy janitorial closet with unreliable lighting (yum). it's just impractical. I intend to sow some wild oats if I get my chance. Why not.

Sometimes when I'm plotting my little amorous escapades I stop myself and think "Wait, what would (insert name here) think of this?" I have realized, though, that other people's opinions of my decisions should not be the first consideration in my mind. I'm not going to say "well, i just don't care", because that's not true, I do care what my friends think, and I trust that if they thought I was doing something that was very unhealthy, either physically or emotionally, they would speak up and say so. However, my friends all have different sets of values, and I'm not responsible for tailoring my life to fit them. Something that Melissa or Jess would think nothing of (I can't think of an example, sorry) might come across as not so great to Rae or to Wendy, but that shouldn't be what I base my decisions on.

It's not that I would want to really hide any parts of my life from any of you, but there have definitely been times with more than one of my friends when I have deliberately left something out of a retelling because I was worried about what they might think. I could take that as a sign that I'm doing some things that I shouldn't, but you know, I can't force my life to line up with everyone else's. If some of you disagree with anything I choose to do, that's your prerogative.

In conclusion, i saw Princess Diaries 2 tonight, and it was good. It made me, sara and meghan all want the whole fairy-tale romance thing, which is exactly what it set out to do. However, I am not ready for Prince Charming now, and I'm not on the lookout for him either...I'm just looking to have fun and be young. If I can't be a princess, that will have to do.

No comments: