Sunday, August 08, 2004

Romeo and Juliet

So last night, after a brief trip to Tisane's, Heather was bound and determined to watch "Romeo and Juliet". We only watched up till when Mercutio dies, cause we were really tired, but some good points were raised by her and by Cory, Mel's kind-of (?) boyfriend. Here's a snippet from her site that I found amusing:


4) so about romeo- cleary, he is a character in literary fiction because i can never, ever imagine a guy saying or thinking stuff like that. or being that devoted so quickly. unless he was really bad looking. many ugly guys, at this point in their life, have caught on to the fact that in order to make up for their appearance, they need to be sweet, decent human beings in order to get girls. but pretty guys never receive this memo, so they think that their good looks are a carte blanche to do and say whatever they want.
but i shouldn't get sexist, because it's exactly the same with girls as well. this brings me to another point that's not related to romeo + juliet: i think to be a cool person you have to have struggled a lot at one point in your childhood. you need to have been made fun of for being fat, wearing stretch pants, having braces or glasses, or just generally being extremely dorky/nerdy/pox ridden. or in my case, all of the above, except the pox. actually, i really think that struggling in general is good for the soul. whether it involves having cracked out diana ross moments, carrying too many bags within a bag, not brushing your hair, wearing the same cut off camoflage pants for three weeks in a row, or any other crucial situation, i think that the funniest people are the ones who struggle. and now i don't remember what the hell i was talking about, so i'll move on to the next point.

oh, heather, you are truly a guru. I too struggled in younger years, being chubby, having braces and glasses and being tall and really smart and sarcastic, but here I am, I'm hot and I'm cool and I'm STILL really smart, dammit. What now, biotches?

No comments: